Good reasons for an alarm system
Installing an alarm system will bring several advantages:
- Deterrence: an alarm system keeps burglars away. More than two third of would-be burglars will turn away, when they see that your building is equipped with an alarm system with 24 hour alarm monitoring.
- Pressure: the siren will turn the burglar away. When the alarm goes off, the intruder hasn't time anymore. The sensors trigger alarms, the alarm centre is informed and soon afterwards there are intervention forces on site. The rewards aren't worth the risk anymore.
- Risk reduction: avoid intangible damage. In case of a burglary, the insurance will pay for the damage to the building and a part of the stolen goods. However, the loss of privacy and anger remains with many burglar victims for a long time.
How does an alarm system work?
A security system is made of several electronic components, that are configured to provide a specific protection goal for each building:
- Sensor components, which detect an action or a presence. Infrared motion detectors register an human presence. Magnetic contacts detect the opening of a window or a door. A glass breaking sensor detects the noise coming from a window being smashed. Smoke detectors will signal the beginning of a fire, etc.
- Central unit (alarm monitoring centre): A central unit processes the signals from the sensors and compares different algorithms. If the sensors report a correct signal, the unit will trigger an alarm. An integrated transmission device (GSM, IP, ISDN) forwards the alarm to the emergency call and alarm monitoring centre of Certas, where the necessary measures are initiated.
- Deterrence systems: when the alarm has been triggered, a powerful siren (120 db) will go off and put the burglar under pressure. A shock lightning can also be installed to reinforce the effect. In addition, a fog generator can be added. Within a few seconds the room becomes impassable due to dense fog and the thief has to retreat.
Additional functions of an security system
A modern alarm system can do a lot more for you, beside theft protection:
- Protection in case of fire: smoke detectors can be connected very easily to the alarm system. In case of fire, smoke will be detected quickly and generate an alarm. The loud siren will wake up the inhabitants. The alarm centre is informed, it verifies the alarm and immediately organises the fire brigade operation.
- Access control: a modern security system can report who is coming and going. For example, anxious parents can be notified on their smartphone when their children are back from school.
- Remote control: the remote control of the alarm system can also be programmed to open and close your electrical garage door. A gain in daily comfort and safety.
How does a motion detector work ?
- Motion detectors are important components to identify an intrusion in a building. The different types of detectors are working with specific detection goals:
- An IR-motion-detector reacts to heat: every human being radiates heat. These infrared waves can be detected by a device that registers the temperature change without emitting anything. They are called «Infrared passive sensors». To reduce false alarms, IR sensors are equipped with lenses that separate the space in several zones. When an human person goes by, he will trigger at least two zones before an alarm will be generated.
- Motion sensor with camera: some detectors can take pictures of the intruder (three to seven snapshots or a video sequence) and send them to the alarm monitoring centre. Depending on the alarm plan and the quality of the pictures, the alarm verification can be done quicker and the intervention can be sent sooner to the protected site.
- Motion sensor with audio channel: some detectors can broadcast the soundtrack of what's happening in the building. The dispatcher at the alarm monitoring centre can identify easily if the sounds correlate to a real burglary case.
- Special «ET» motion sensors prevent false alarms: animals also radiate heat and could generate false alarms. Special motion detectors can handle homes with pets, cats and dogs under 18 or 35 kg can move freely without triggering the alarm. Your alarm installer must respect safety margins during the installation (high vertical position, no furniture nearby, free field of view, etc.) to prevent false alarms.