Installing an alarm system will bring several advantages:
- Deterrence: an alarm system keeps burglars away. More than two third of would-be burglars will turn away, when they see that your building is equipped with an alarm system with 24 hour alarm monitoring.
- Pressure: the siren will turn the burglar away. When the alarm goes off, the intruder hasn't time anymore. The sensors trigger alarms, the alarm centre is informed and soon afterwards there are intervention forces on site. The rewards aren't worth the risk anymore.
- Risk reduction: avoid intangible damage. In case of a burglary, the insurance will pay for the damage to the building and a part of the stolen goods. However, the loss of privacy and anger remains with many burglar victims for a long time.
How does an alarm system work?
How does a motion detector work ?
- Motion detectors are important components to identify an intrusion in a building. The different types of detectors are working with specific detection goals:
- An IR-motion-detector reacts to heat: every human being radiates heat. These infrared waves can be detected by a device that registers the temperature change without emitting anything. They are called «Infrared passive sensors». To reduce false alarms, IR sensors are equipped with lenses that separate the space in several zones. When an human person goes by, he will trigger at least two zones before an alarm will be generated.
- Motion sensor with camera: some detectors can take pictures of the intruder (three to seven snapshots or a video sequence) and send them to the alarm monitoring centre. Depending on the alarm plan and the quality of the pictures, the alarm verification can be done quicker and the intervention can be sent sooner to the protected site.
- Motion sensor with audio channel: some detectors can broadcast the soundtrack of what's happening in the building. The dispatcher at the alarm monitoring centre can identify easily if the sounds correlate to a real burglary case.
- Special «ET» motion sensors prevent false alarms: animals also radiate heat and could generate false alarms. Special motion detectors can handle homes with pets, cats and dogs under 18 or 35 kg can move freely without triggering the alarm. Your alarm installer must respect safety margins during the installation (high vertical position, no furniture nearby, free field of view, etc.) to prevent false alarms.